Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Allergies...One of My Favorite Things

Spring comes sadly once a year. For some, maybe even most of us, Spring is the worst time of the year. The trees bloom, and that is enough for most of us. They call it the seasons of allergies. I am one of the lucky kids, like some of you, that experience this wonderful season. Not only do I experience it in the Spring, but also the Summer, and Fall.

In the Spring it's trees, in the Summer, grass, and in the fall, weeds. The winter, something I also wish I was allergic too, snow. Sadly I'm not. In the Spring of sixth grade, my allergies got the worst they had ever been. Inside, outside, no matter where I was, I had allergies. I needed to get this fixed. I took pills, and even then, I couldn't go outside without my eyes puffing up like a baseball.

On a sunny day in May, I had a appointment to go meet with Dr. Anderson, he would soon become my best friend. I walked into the office, scared, and unsure what they were going to do to me. I went into the back room and they told me to take off my shirt, so off my shirt went, where I now laid on the table. One by one, they put different words on my back, poked me with a needle, and then put a potion onto my back. This is what they call the "allergy test." "See you in a half hour!" The nurse told to me, "but don't touch you're back!" If you have ever had an allergic reaction, think of this like 30 allergic reactions on you're back.

They tested me for everything! Every kind of tree, weed, different grasses, dust, and all kinds of animals. After 30 minutes the nurse came into the room to find lots of little hives on my back. "Okay! This one is a four, this a four, four, four, four, three, four, four, four." Four was the highest they rated on a degree of if you're allergic or not. It was then I realized I was allergic to just about everything, outside and inside.

My new best friend, Dr. Anderson, then came into the room. "Wow! We got a keeper here! Why don't you come into my office. Do you have any dogs? Cats? Animals at all? How often do you dust you're house? Do you like playing outside? What kind of trees do you have in you're yard? Anyone else in you're family have allergies?" These questions soon started to haunt me. "Uh, no, no, no, a lot, no, I don't know! I'm eleven years old!" The confusion was very noticeable on my face.

Dr. Anderson, then told me that he would suggest me starting to receive allergy shots. Yes! Now I have two best friends! He said my allergies were bad enough he would give me two shots every time I came, and soon, after a few years, it would take my allergies away. Sign me up!

For the past three years I have been getting allergy shots. At first it was twice a week, then once, and now every three weeks. Usually, in the patients career they will experience one reaction. A reaction is after you get the shot, you're body doesn't respond well, and you start getting itchy, you're throat starts to close, and well, it's not good. I have had three reactions.

My first one was in 2008, it was the worst one I've had. The other two, have been in the last three weeks. Three weeks ago, I went to get my shot, after I got my shot I got very itchy in my ears, throat, and face. Which is not a good sign. They had to hold me back and give me less of a shot the next time, and because of that I had to go the next three weeks in a row. Today was my day to get back up to my regular maintenance. After I got my shot today, the same things happened as three weeks ago. I went to the lady and told her I was having a reaction, they took me back into the room, my now third best friend, and gave me another allergy pill, took my heart rate, made me blow in a tube, and gave me a big shot of adrenaline. Then, I sat in the doctors office, shaking, going crazy, trying to hold something, trying to do anything. It didn't work.

Dr. Anderson, doesn't know what my problem is, so next week it's back to the clinic for a baby shot. Let's hope I won't build back up again, and then have another reaction. If you have bad allergies, I would defiantly recommend you looking into getting shots, my allergies have improved so much from the last three years.

No comments:

Post a Comment